Good Grief! I’m a cult member!! March 25, 2006Posted by scan man in Apple & OSX, Computers, Mac.
I’m home for the weekend. I can access the net, what a relief 😮
This post is not related to medicine. It is about computers.
I saw Suresh’s post about Steve Jobs a few days ago. I wrote this the same night, but wasn’t able to post it. I read through the post and followed the link to read the original interview by Inc. Magazine.
While reading the interview, I found that I was nodding to myself, smiling and was mentally checking up the facts that I knew about Jobs & Apple.
My reactions were scary. The horrible realization dawned that whether I like it or not, I am now a member of the Cult of Mac.
Good Grief! It was a terrible blow to my self-image! I am not a fanatic or a zealot. I don’t like cults. The very word evokes disturbing images: Aum Shinrikyo, Branch Davidians, Ku Klux Klan, Tamil Tigers, Al Qaeda 😦
Believe me. I’m cultophobic [I made up that word 😉 ].
My tastes are catholic. I’m not a Mac fanatic. In fact I’ve only been using a Mac for about 20 months. I used Windows and Microsoft DOS for about 15 years before that. I’m a doctor, not a tech geek.
…all that, sadly, was Denial.
The more I thought about my behaviour since I switched, the more I realized that I had to face up to the truth.
In the cold light of logic (?) the evidence was damning:
- I feel a smug sense of of superiority whenever I see someone using Windows – which is pretty much all the time since the number of Mac users in my work place is – wait for it, don’t faint – 2. (Yes. Two! I did not miss any digits).
- The home page in my default browser (Safari, of course) is the Apple start page. That said, I never was a fan of Internet Explorer. I used Opera in my pre-switch days. These days I use Safari & Firefox equally.
- I feel uncomfortable when I use a Windows machine.
- Increasingly I find myself trying to lead others to the light. *Horror* I’ve become a Mac evangelist.
- I love the feeling of being unique – I am the only doctor in town who uses Keynote for presentations.
- I love the looks on my Windows-using friends (?) faces when I show them nifty little Mac tricks like Exposé, the Genie effect on minimizing, the Dashboard and Widgets, I could go on & on…
- I can’t won’t rationalize. I KNOW.
- OS X is better than Windows.
- Apple is better than Microsoft.
- Jobs is greater than Gates.
- Apple innovates, Microsoft imitates.
- I check TUAW daily and follow all interesting links. Then I talk to Suresh about what I read – if you didn’t know or haven’t guessed by now, he’s the other Mac user here. Actually he’s the one who converted me. My Guru…
- I religiously download all of Apple’s periodic software updates – and pity Windows users and the apparent lack of interest shown by MS in keeping its customers up to date.
- I am all agog whenever there’s a rumour of an Apple Special Event – trying to guess what new goodies will be unveiled.
- I have an iBook, and I also use an eMac and a Mac mini – all of them running on PowerPC chips & I’ve already started
making plansscheming to upgrade them to Intel Macs – a Mac Mini Core Duo, an Intel iMac G5 and a Macbook Pro.
- I have 2 iPods – a Shuffle & an iPod Photo – the only reason I didn’t get a Video iPod was because I’m not interested in podcasts or vidcasts.
- I was overjoyed when my friend became an Apple Dealer – I can now get Dealer prices for Apple products.
- I can’t understand how Suresh can stand using an IBM Thinkpad after having used a PowerBook.
- I can’t believe that he has not fixed his crashed hard disk even after 5 months. Before anyone asks – Macs don’t crash. That was faulty hardware – Toshiba, I think.
- I have an Apple sticker on my laptop bag.
- I read the unofficial biography of Jobs – iCon.
- I was impressed by the Stanford University Commencement Address by Jobs.
- I think comics like this & this are funny.
- & I collect such geeky stuff as this palindromic phrase – “Campus motto: Bottoms up, Mac!” (attributed to Bill Bryson, who’s books I love)
I give up.
I am a Mac Maniac.
Yes!! Mac Rules!!