The CAGE Questions. May 17, 2006Posted by scan man in medical blogs, random noise.
Do I have an alcohol problem?
A question that I have been afraid of even thinking out loud.
Because I believe, as does Dr. Crippen, that the very fact that I am asking myself the question is proof that I believe there is a problem.
Dr. Crippen goes on in this excellent, thought-provoking post
If you are asking yourself that question, you probably do have one. But if in doubt, ask yourself the four CAGE questions.
- Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
- Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
- Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
- Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?
Two positives and you are in trouble.
Well, here are my answers
- Only my wife. I don’t think that counts as a full positive, because she also nags me about a lot of other stuff, like my weight, or the shape of my abdomen (I keep telling her that round is a good shape).
- No. I wonder if it counts as more than one positive for this question if I have felt guilty about not drinking!
One definite positive and a partial. I guess I don’t have a problem (yet).
Humour aside, I think Dr. Crippen’s post is great.
The question that bugs me is…
Just how big is the Silent Alcohol Abuse problem in the world?
Is it as big as the Obesity problem? or Bigger?
I am sure we would be shocked by the numbers if some epidemiologists collect the data from different countries just based on responses to the CAGE questions.